MPES Newsletter – June 12, 2020
As we head into the home stretch for June, I wanted to express our sincere appreciation to all the parents and guardians for your active engagement and support throughout the year – especially in the past three months due to the challenging pandemic situation.
• All computer & laptop “loaners” are due back to the school by Wednesday, June 24.
Please ensure that the devices are in good working order and you have the power cord as well.
Contact the school at 604-883-2373 to arrange a day/time for your drop off.
• In light of the recent events involving George Floyd, MPES is committed to supporting students and families to promote a peaceful, respectful and accepting world. We have ordered a variety of books on Anti-racism, and we have a number of SOGI/Indigenous/Human Rights resources as well.
Please refer to the following link https://www.embracerace.org/resources/where-to-find-diverse-childrens-books and the attachment: How to talk to kids about racism & discrimination (this is American based but it has many helpful suggestions).
• June is National Aboriginal Month, and June 21 is National Aboriginal Day in Canada. It is a special opportunity to celebrate First Nations, Inuit & Metis peoples. In conjunction with these events, and the Ministry of Education’s core competency on Positive Personal & Cultural Identity, we encourage all families to discuss/celebrate their cultural heritage, and acknowledge the unique differences of others.
• Families received a district email recently offering free access to digital books via SORA which connects to the MPES and Sechelt Public Library. Please refer to the attachment for login information and let us know if you have any questions.
• Ms. Jay, our Librarian, is offering weekly ZOOM sessions for students on Fridays @ 1 pm.
Check out: https://www.librarylessonsandlearning.com
The ZOOM invite for June 12 is https://zoom.us/j/98966488116?pwd=aGpPb1VSSmx4RmpZTkRpYXIvbm1OUT09
Meeting ID: 989 6648 8116 Password: 318580
• We are planning our Grade 6 Celebrations now. A reminder to all parents/guardians of Grade 6 students that submissions for the yearbook & video are due this Monday, June 15.
Please watch out for important emails and phone calls about various Grade 6 events.
**A reminder that school officially ends on Thursday, June 25.
If you need to contact our school, please phone 604-883-2373. You can also contact our Admin. Ass’t: Rachel Bowering at email@example.com or myself at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Essential SD 46 and Covid 19 info. can be accessed at www.sd46.bc.ca
Take care and stay well ☺ Mr. G. Smith (Principal)